Food, Inc.--The Movie

I just watched Food, Inc. for the second time. I think it should be required viewing for everyone who eats food. It discusses several topics you have seen on this blog: meat processing, GMO foods, the real cost of food, and much more.

The first time I saw this film, I was appalled at the mess that is our food system. This time, though, I felt more empowered to do something about it. The movie ends with a silent series of sentences. Maybe you too will find some ideas of what you can do to effect change.

"You can vote to change this system...Three times a day."

"Buy from companies that treat workers, animals, and the environment with respect."

"When you go to the supermarket, choose foods that are in season. Buy foods that are organic. Know what's in your food. Read labels."

"Know what you buy. The average meal travels 1500 miles from the farm to the supermarket. Buy foods that are grown locally. Shop at farmers' markets. Plant a garden. (Even a small one.)"

"Cook a meal with your family and eat together."

"Everyone has a right to healthy food. Make sure your farmers' market takes food stamps. Ask your school board to provide healthy school lunches."

"The FDA and USDA are supposed to protect you and your family. Tell Congress to enforce food safety standards and re-introduce Kevin's Law."

"If you say grace, ask for food that will keep us and the planet healthy."

"You can change the world with every bite. Hungry for change? Go to takepart.com/foodinc."

3 comments:

Brandi M said...

This is a very eye-opening video. We've been slowly changing our diet and making lifestyle changes.

Laura said...

Here's my problem. I know I don't eat the way I should, which wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I'm also feeding 5 other people, which is a BIG deal. Thinking of switching over to eating better seems so overwhelming...searching for new grocery items, finding new recipes, and the children's revolt that may or may not strike...I've tried to completely switch over to eating much healthier in the past and have always reverted back to my old standby's out of laziness and familiarity.
How can I make a permanent switch over to eating better? At this point, I see a recipe with the word "spelt" in it and I skip to the next recipe. I need help!!

Cheryl said...

There's not an easy answer, Laura, but I think the key is "baby steps." Buying hormone-free milk is one step that's getting easier all the time. Pay attention to fruits and vegetables that are in season, and don't buy the ones that have been shipped in from Latin America. Eat more of those items on the "outside" walls of the grocery store and fewer items from the middle.
I have children that revolt sometimes too :) If you make changes a little at a time, though, it won't be a big revolution. Yet you'll be amazed how far you'll get in a few years. (In fact, my family was just commenting on how much our eating has changed over the last little while!) Remember that every little improvement helps. That's the message of hope I get from this film!